A Top 10 List. Every blogger must do one of these every once in a while somewhere in their blogs. I guess this one will be my first.
So, we all can agree that there are some very slim pickings for a really good Nintendo Wii game out there right now. But that’s not to say that there aren’t any at all. I’ll admit right now that I don’t own many Wii games – actually I don’t think many Wii gamers actually do – but I have rented quite a few and have discovered that there are some a few Wii games out there worth owning. So here’s my list of personal recommendations. Drum roll please…..
- Metroid Prime 3 : Corruption – Lets not beat around the bush with this one. We all have heard the rants and rave about this game. Its got it all and if you haven’t seen it, check my earlier post about it. The best thing about this game is that it’s actual Wii game, not a remake or port.
- Resident Evil 4 – Had Metroid Prime 3 not come out, this game would have been at the top of my list. And if you don’t know what this game is about, then you’ve been missing out for the last 2 years. Although RE4 is a port of the original Game Cube game that came out back in early 2005, the new Wii version features full wide screen support, new (and much better) control schemes, and all the special features that the PS2 version had all jam-packed into the Wii disc. There’s way too much to talk about with this game. Just get it. Now.
- The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess – Every Wii owner should of played this game by now. It was one of the few Wii games that launched with the Wii back in November of 2006. Although it’s technically a Game Cube game with Wii controls tacked on, you can say that its a very very good Game Cube game with Wii controls tacked on. And yes, its a port but its definitely well worth checking out if you still haven’t. With great graphics, sound, and music, be prepared to spend many hours playing this one.
- Super Paper Mario – Everyone should know this by now : every Mario game is going to be GOOD. Well, most of them usually are. Super Paper Mario is the next game in the Paper Mario series that supposedly dates back to the SNES (Super Mario RPG). The interesting thing about this game is the emphasis on platform game-play and the new ability to “flip” the world into a sort 3D view, while keep the concept of everything being “paper-thin” in tacked. This game is quite fun. All the Mario characters are here, graphics are cartoony and looks perfect for what it’s suppose to represent. Lots of funny dialogue and lots of puzzles. I did however, found the game to be pretty short. But highly recommended.
- The Godfather : Blackhand Edition – This is one of the few games that actually makes good use of the Nun-chuck and the Wii-mote. Also aside from RE4, its one of the more violent games I’ve played. Have you ever wanted to just randomly beat up people and actually feel like you’re doing it? Participate in organized crime? Join the Mafia? Work for Don Corleone? The Godfather Blackhand edition is also a port from the early 2006 PC and Xbox game. Its more or less like Grand Theft Auto in the Godfather world. Worth a try if you enjoy the Godfather movies or just want to let loose your inner violence.
- Trauma Center : Second Opinion – Apparently this game is also a remake of the same game (with slightly different title) on the Nintendo DS. Trauma Center is another game that makes good use of the Wii-mote. Essentially, its a game about performing surgery while living through the Japanese-infused drama-filled storyline of the game. I personally found this game to be hilarious and a bit over the top at times (especially with the dramatic moments) but overall it was a fun game. There are a few tense moments where you literally can’t remember the correct procedure for the operations, but that adds to the enjoyment. Definitely worth checking out.
- Mario Strikers Charged – If you like soccer, and you like Mario, and you want some multi-player action on the Wii for once, then this game is for you. Mario Strikers Charged is the sequel to the Game Cube’s late 2005 release. Now I’m not a big soccer fan by any means, but this game actually makes the sport of soccer “fun”. You now have different power-ups and special moves you can perform during the game. You can foul like crazy and it don’t matter. Actually, you’ll find yourself attacking other players constantly. The interesting thing about this game is that its the first Wii game to have online capabilities allowing you to challenge other gamers from around the world.
- Elebits – One of the more unusual games ever, the point of this game is to locate these electrical creatures called “Elebits” by trashing (literally) your surroundings. If you ever wanted to make a mess of things and never have to clean it up, then this one is worth playing. Its good simple fun, but can get a bit repetitive at times.
- Excite Truck – A spiritual successor to the legendary NES game “Excite Bike” and N64 game “Excite Bike 64“, this game puts you in the driver’s seat of a 4×4 truck and letting you grind it out in a death race against several other trucks. The cool thing is that you have to turn the Wii-mote sideways and literally tilt it as if you’re turn a steering wheel. The fast pacing of the game really gives you a good rush. And again, a simple yet fun title worth checking out.
- Wii Play – Now this game really needs no description. You probably already have this game if you own a Wii. Although the mini games in Wii Play are very short and simple, get a bunch of folks together and you’ll definitely have a blast playing this one.